Tuesday 21 March 2017

Winter Night (a poem)

I intended to post this poem some time ago, when it was really winter, but I didn't get round to it. I suppose it's still technically winter until March 21st.




Snow covers the ice-hard ground
And ponds and lakes are frozen.
All is muffled, every sound.
The birds are silent in the trees,
No moths or butterflies or bees
Just snowflakes by the dozen.

The moon is full and her pale light
Shines gently through the flakes.
But creatures shiver through the night.
The icy wind makes branches quiver
And every living thing to shiver
In trees and hills and lakes.

Across the field there trots a fox.
An owl flies by on silent wings.
On the frozen lake, some ducks.
As snow falls gently on them all,
And cattle low within their stall
We are waiting for the spring.


If you enjoyed this poem, I would greatly appreciate it if you would follow me. I can then read an;y comments you might make.

No comments: