Thursday 3 October 2013

I am trying to get another extract from The Wolf Pack onto this blog, but am having problems. I hope to get it on ASAP.

Yesterday I opened a can of Campbell's Mushroom Soup for lunch. It was DISGUSTING! It tasted of dishwater and felt slimy. In fact, it slid off a knife my husband dipped into it leaving a tail, rahter than jjust dropping off.
On further examination of the can, it transpires that the thickening agents are gums--not surprising that it is slimy then. The biggest shock, though, was the amount of mushroom in it. Less than 2%. So how can they get away with calling it mushroom soup?

I usually make my own soups, and mushroom is very easy. Simply take some large open-cap mushrooms and some onion and cut them both up into small pieces. Fry them gently in butter for a few minutes and then add some stock (chicken or vegetable works well) and some milk and bring to the boil. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and then put in a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and a little (or a lot) of cream. Much nicer than any canned or packet stuff and quick to prepare.

No comments: